Agence Ecofin TikTok Agence Ecofin Youtube Agence WhatsApp


Ethiopia: Gibe III hydropower dam to be commissioned next Saturday

Wednesday, 14 December 2016 18:20

(Ecofin Agency) - The Gibe III hydropower dam in Ethiopia will be commissioned this Saturday, Dec. 17.

The 1870 MW infrastructure which has 10 turbines, generating 187 MW each, was developed by Italian Salini Impregilo. Construction took nine years and produced a 243m-long dam with a reservoir of 15 billion cubic meters. It cost €1.5 billion of which the Ethiopian government provided 40% while remaining 60% came from Exim Bank China.

Azeb Asnake, executive director of Ethiopian Electric Power said the plant would not be at full throttle once online due to the water level in its reservoirs. Truly, the dam currently generates 900 MW, but this output should increase gradually.

With Gibe III coming online, Ethiopia’s total production capacity now stands at 4200 MW. Power produced at the dam will help reduce the power deficit induced by the El Nino weather phenomenom.

Gwladys Johnson




Public Management

ECOFIN AGENCY offers a selection of articles translated from AGENCE ECOFIN. Founded in 2011, Agence Ecofin is a leader in Francophone Pan-African economic news, particularly in West and Central Africa. The agency publishes daily news on nine African economic sectors: Public Management, Finance, ICT, Agribusiness, Energy, Mining, Transport & Logistics, Communication, and Training.

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Genève
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11


Benjamin FLAUX
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72


Please publish modules in offcanvas position.