Public Management

Investigation blames Ever Given's Captain for Suez Canal blockage

Investigation blames Ever Given's Captain for Suez Canal blockage
Tuesday, 01 June 2021 12:38

The investigation launched last March 31 by the Egyptian government into the Ever Given case found the ship’s captain fully guilty of the blockage of the Suez Canal between March 23 and 29. 

Speaking during a press conference on May 30, El-Sayed Sheisha, Head of Suez Canal Authority’s investigation team, said the accident occurred after the crew onboard made wrong maneuvers due to “repeated commands from the skipper within a very short time.” El-Sayed Sheisha says the ship’s black box also revealed the error did not come from the Suez Canal Authority unlike what the representative of Ever Given’s owners previously claimed. Indeed, the representative said SCA authorized the ship to enter the waterway well knowing the weather conditions were not suitable.

Pending the outcomes of this investigation, the Suez Canal Authority had requested $916 million in compensation for the losses. The amount was later cut to $550 million on May 25, after the owners of Ever Given provided documents showing the true value of the cargo on board. 

Let’s note that the trial to resolve the case has been postponed to 20 June 2021 by the Ismailia First Instance Economic Court. The incident cost a daily loss of nearly $14 million for Egypt.

Carine Sossoukpè (intern)

Additional Info

  • communiques: Non
  • couleur: N/A
On the same topic
WEF spotlights Rawbank’s $400m Kamoa-Kakula loan as a model for ESG-aligned finance of critical minerals in the DRC. The deal mandates 60%...
Zambia's stock index gained 14.3% in August and 56% YTD, driven by strong copper prices. Copperbelt Energy has maintained a market capitalization of...
Guaranty Trust Holding Company Plc (GTCO) has injected N365.9 billion ($238.5 million) into its subsidiary, Guaranty Trust Bank Limited (GTBank), to...
IFC may grant up to $20 million to CBI Ghana for a low-carbon cement plant in Tema. The $66.7 million project includes global investors...
Most Read
01

It’s a common scene in any Lomé (Togo) market, but it’s telling. A customer hands a 10,000 CFA franc...

The Change Shortage: A Crisis Hidden by the CFA Franc’s Stability
02

Egypt’s handset market is projected to leap from $2.5 billion in 2025 to $4.8 billion by...

Egypt’s $2.5B-to-$4.8B Smartphone Surge Set to Reshape Africa’s Tech Map by 2031
03

Burkina Faso ends Target Malaria, a GMO mosquito project funded by the Gates Foundation. The ...

Burkina Faso Halts a Malaria Program Backed by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
04

Egypt and UNECA launched a five-day workshop in Cairo to strengthen maritime tax audits and IFRS-b...

Egypt Bolsters Maritime Tax Collection With UN Economic Commission Training
05

Sadot and Vodacom’s MOTI launch Africa’s first telco-powered farm-to-fork app to cut crop losses a...

Sadot, Vodacom-Backed MOTI Launch Africa’s First Telco-Powered Farm-to-Fork App  
Enter your email to receive our newsletter

Ecofin Agency provides daily coverage of nine key African economic sectors: public management, finance, telecoms, agribusiness, mining, energy, transport, communication, and education.
It also designs and manages specialized media, both online and print, for African institutions and publishers.

SALES & ADVERTISING

regie@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72


EDITORIAL
redaction@agenceecofin.com

More information
Team
Publisher

ECOFIN AGENCY

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Geneva
Switzerland

 

Ecofin Agency is a sector-focused economic news agency, founded in December 2010. Its web platform was launched in June 2011. ©Mediamania.

 
 

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.