The French President, Emmanuel Macron, sent on November 30, a letter of congratulations to his counterpart in Guinea, Alpha Condé, for his victory in the presidential election of October 18, 2020.
"Following the confirmation by the Constitutional Council of your re-election to the Presidency of the Republic of Guinea, I send you and the Guinean people my best wishes of success," the French President wrote, according to local media.
Regarding bilateral relations between France and Guinea, Emmanuel Macron indicates that "the relationship between our two countries, which is long-standing, is resolutely inscribed in a shared destiny. France will continue to stand by the Guinean people for the economic and social development of the country.”
These belated congratulations seem to initiate a kind of appeasement in the relations between Paris and Conakry. Indeed the relationship between the two countries had become tense in the wake of the violence that followed the presidential election in Guinea, whose transparency had been questioned by the European Union and the United States.
In a recent interview with Jeune Afrique, the French president openly criticized his Guinean counterpart, accusing him of amending the constitution to stay in power.
"Alpha Condé organized a referendum and reviewed the constitution just to remain in power. That is why I have not sent him a congratulatory letter yet," Emmanuel Macron had said.
These words were welcomed by the main opponent, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who is still claiming victory in this presidential election. "President Emmanuel Macron admits that Alpha Conde organized a review of the Constitution with the sole aim of staying in power. France recognizes the seriousness of the situation in Guinea. Thank you for this support for democracy," he said.
No reaction from the Guinean opposition has so far been recorded regarding Mr. Macron's congratulatory letter.
Borgia Kobri
Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...
MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...
South Africa led with 35% of total deal value, ahead of Kenya and Egypt Inbound deal value ro...
Safran invests €280m to build one of the world's largest landing gear plants in Morocco, crea...
This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...
Production could rise to 25–30 million tons this year, from about 10 million in 2025 Growth driven by ArcelorMittal’s $1.8bn expansion and new...
First group of 500 trainees begins “train-the-trainer” program in Kinshasa 200 top performers will be selected to train others nationwide Five-year...
Agreement with Gécamines could extend KCC mine life into the 2040s Copper output target raised toward about 300,000 tons a year Move comes as Glencore...
Five local banks to mobilize CFA41.2bn ($74.4m) for Grand-Zambi mine Funding to be refinanced through BEAC’s “Window B” for productive...
Senegal, Morocco resume talks on film co-production pact Countries seek revised agreement on training, distribution Partnership produced two...
“Dao” ranks among the three films in official competition at the 76th Berlinale and marks Alain Gomis’ second bid for the Golden Bear. The film...