Public Management

Ethiopia: TPLF demands withdrawal of Eritrean troops from Tigray before the truce

Ethiopia: TPLF demands withdrawal of Eritrean troops from Tigray before the truce
Monday, 05 July 2021 18:53

In Ethiopia, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) has demanded the withdrawal of Eritrean troops from Tigray before accepting the ceasefire proclaimed by Addis Ababa.

“As long as we have a foolproof guarantee that the security of our people will not be compromised by a second round of invasions, we accept a ceasefire in principle,” TPLF said in a July 4 statement. “However, before a ceasefire agreement is formalized, the following thorny issues must be resolved,” the statement continues.

The TPLF rebels are demanding the restoration of the former dissident regional government dismissed by Abiy Ahmed, as well as the withdrawal of Eritrean and Amhara troops from Tigray. These troops are the main supporters of the federal Ethiopian army, which has been waging a war against the TPLF since November 2020.

These demands come after the Tigrayan fighters regained control of Mekelle, the regional capital, on June 28, after it fell to the central Ethiopian government seven months earlier. The central government declared a unilateral ceasefire, while downplaying the impact of the loss of the town.

"When we entered Mekelle seven or eight months ago, it was because it was the centre of gravity for conflicts. It was the centre of a government. A centre for known and unknown resources. But by the time we exit, there is nothing special about it except that there are some 80,000 people, and those who loot people ... It has lost its center of gravity in the current context,” Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said.

Despite the fact that he initiated the new ceasefire in Tigray, there is no guarantee that the Addis Ababa government will comply with the demands of this enemy, which it considers to be terrorist. It should be remembered that the authorities had often denied the presence of Eritrean soldiers in Tigray before Abiy Ahmed admitted it a few months ago, after multiple accusations of war crimes. While a withdrawal of Eritrean forces has been announced several times, Asmara still seems to be keeping its soldiers in a region against which it has been in conflict for decades.

For now, no official statement has been made by Abiy Ahmed in response to these demands. However, several official sources indicate that an "inclusive dialog" is being prepared to resolve the crisis. If successful, this initiative could save the lives of up to 400,000 people living in starving conditions in the region.

Moutiou Adjibi Nourou

Additional Info

  • communiques: Non
  • couleur: N/A
On the same topic
REGIDESO and Singapore-based EFGH signed a service framework agreement to digitalize revenue collection nationwide. The partnership will develop secure...
Cameroon prioritizes external debt to protect credit standing, delays local payments Domestic repayments to worsen in 2026 as IMF loan payback...
Government seeks CFA3104.2 billion in fresh financing for 2026 Funding need rises by CFA777.7 billion compared with last year Debt risk...
Spending plan reaches CFA8816.4 billion, up 14% from 2025 Special Accounts nearly double after creation of a new women and youth...
Most Read
01

(MCB) - The Mauritius Commercial Bank Limited (“MCB”) has successfully granted a strategic financing...

MCB deploys strategic financing to Invictus Investment to scale up its agro-food operations in Africa
02

Anthropic, Rwanda’s government, and ALX launched Chidi, an AI mentor built on Claude. It wi...

Anthropic Partners with Rwanda, ALX to Deploy Claude-Powered AI Learning Companion Across Africa
03

S&P upgrades Zambia to CCC+ as debt talks advance and copper output rebounds. About 94% of $...

S&P Raises Zambia’s Foreign-Currency Rating to CCC+
04

Government, ESCWA, and experts meet to shape national framework Plan aims to fight corruption, c...

Mauritania Advances Blockchain Policy to Modernize Digital Public Services
05

ECOWAS launched the second phase of PAMCIT to expand training in translation and conference inte...

Africa Turns to Multilingualism to Fill High-Skill Jobs
Enter your email to receive our newsletter

Ecofin Agency provides daily coverage of nine key African economic sectors: public management, finance, telecoms, agribusiness, mining, energy, transport, communication, and education.
It also designs and manages specialized media, both online and print, for African institutions and publishers.

SALES & ADVERTISING

regie@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72


EDITORIAL
redaction@agenceecofin.com

More information
Team
Publisher

ECOFIN AGENCY

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Geneva
Switzerland

 

Ecofin Agency is a sector-focused economic news agency, founded in December 2010. Its web platform was launched in June 2011. ©Mediamania.

 
 

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.