Public Management

There would be no government in Mali without France’s presence in the Sahel, Emmanuel Macron says

There would be no government in Mali without France’s presence in the Sahel, Emmanuel Macron says
Tuesday, 05 October 2021 19:06

The relations between France and Mali seem to be in turmoil since the announcement of the end of Operation Barkhane. On September 25, the Malian Prime Minister, Choguel Maïga, accused Paris of abandoning the country amid growing terrorism.

In an interview with France Inter radio, French President Emmanuel Macron (pictured) talked about the tumultuous relations between his country and Mali. "I told the Sahel countries, in particular Mali, that our military presence must evolve because we cannot ask our soldiers to do what is their (the states, ed) responsibility. After we have increased our military pressure [...] we demanded that the State reestablishes its justice, its education, its police. Particular focus is on Mali and Burkina Faso," Macron said, adding that "projects must be developed after this, otherwise, as soon as our forces leave a territory, the terrorists will take it back."

As a reminder, a few days ago, the Malian Prime Minister Choguel Maïga criticized the end of Operation Barkhane, accusing France of abandoning Mali.  For Emmanuel Macron, France will only strictly focus on fighting terrorist groups.

While France has been facing criticism for several years regarding its military presence in Mali, Emmanuel Macron recalled the conditions under which this intervention had been decided by former President François Hollande. "President Hollande agreed to intervene at the request of the Malian government, the populations, and all ECOWAS states, and we are only staying there within this framework," he said. "Without France in the Sahel, there would no longer be a government in Mali," the French President added. According to him, but for France’s intervention, the terrorists would have taken control of Bamako and then the entire country.

While there are rumors that the Malian government plans a deal with the Russian group Wagner, this statement sounds like a reminder of the importance of the French intervention in the Sahel. More than 5,000 French soldiers of the Barkhane operation are already deployed in the region. The number is however expected to decline to 2,500 or 3,000 by 2023.

Several other countries and institutions have expressed reservations about the possible arrival of Wagner. The group is suspected by the West of belonging to Yevgeny Prigozhin, a businessman close to the Kremlin. The European Union, which provides training for Malian soldiers, warned that the company's involvement could "seriously" affect its relations with Bamako.

For their part, the Malian authorities refuse to accept any pressure from the international community, even though they deny being in negotiations with the mercenary group. "The new situation created by the end of Barkhane [...] leads us to explore ways and means to better ensure security autonomously with other partners," Maïga said.

Moutiou Adjibi Nourou

Additional Info

  • communiques: Non
  • couleur: N/A
On the same topic
Guaranty Trust Holding Company Plc (GTCO) has injected N365.9 billion ($238.5 million) into its subsidiary, Guaranty Trust Bank Limited (GTBank), to...
IFC may grant up to $20 million to CBI Ghana for a low-carbon cement plant in Tema. The $66.7 million project includes global investors...
Banque Agricole du Sénégal is raising CFA80 billion ($142 million) through a securitized bond. The offer includes a 7-year tranche A at 8% and...
• Access Holdings appoints Innocent Ike as new CEO, Aug 29• Appointment follows Herbert Wigwe’s 2024 death, Agbede’s interim tenure• Ike to drive global...
Most Read
01

Botswana signs $12 billion investment agreement with Qatar’s Al Mansour Holdings Deal spans ...

Botswana secures $12bn Qatari support for development projects
02

It’s a common scene in any Lomé (Togo) market, but it’s telling. A customer hands a 10,000 CFA franc...

The Change Shortage: A Crisis Hidden by the CFA Franc’s Stability
03

Africa surpasses 70 GW renewables, remains import-dependent. China dominates solar, batteries...

Africa’s Renewable Energy Boom: A Green Revolution Built on Imports
04

Zambia and Qatar’s Al Mansour Holdings signed a $19 billion partnership in Lusaka. The...

Zambia signs $1bn deal with Qatar, one of its largest
05

Egypt’s handset market is projected to leap from $2.5 billion in 2025 to $4.8 billion by...

Egypt’s $2.5B-to-$4.8B Smartphone Surge Set to Reshape Africa’s Tech Map by 2031
Enter your email to receive our newsletter

Ecofin Agency provides daily coverage of nine key African economic sectors: public management, finance, telecoms, agribusiness, mining, energy, transport, communication, and education.
It also designs and manages specialized media, both online and print, for African institutions and publishers.

SALES & ADVERTISING

regie@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72


EDITORIAL
redaction@agenceecofin.com

More information
Team
Publisher

ECOFIN AGENCY

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Geneva
Switzerland

 

Ecofin Agency is a sector-focused economic news agency, founded in December 2010. Its web platform was launched in June 2011. ©Mediamania.

 
 

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.