Late last week, the Congolese oil ministry sent a letter to Oil of DRCongo - owned by Israeli billionaire Dan Gertler (pictured)- requesting all data collected, and payments related to the production sharing agreement concluded in 2010.
The letter was sent as Oil of Congo’s two exploration permits for blocks 1 and 2 expired last June 16 and Kinshasa no longer wishes to develop the project with Gertler, who has been accused since 2017 by the United States of corruption in mining affairs in the country. The company controls 85% of the shares on both perimeters and the remaining 15% is owned by the state-owned oil company, Sonahydroc.
The U.S. justice system accused Dan Gertler of having made a lot of money through shady mining and oil transactions in DR Congo, and of using his close friendship with President Joseph Kabila to broker the sale of mining assets. The businessman of course denies the accusations and has never been charged. Late last year, Congolese authorities opened negotiations with potential buyers, including Tullow Oil, to sell the shares of Oil of DRCongo.
In response to the ministry's letter, a spokesperson for Oil of DRCongo said the company still controls the licenses because they are under force majeure and therefore there is no change in their status, Bloomberg reports. The force majeure was declared to allow the DRC to conduct negotiations with Uganda on how to move crude from blocks 1 and 2 to the Uganda-Tanzania pipeline.
Oil of DRCongo’s spokesperson says the company remains committed to working with all stakeholders to address the force majeure, identify a competitive exploration system and bring the assets into production. As a reminder, Blocks 1 and 2 are adjacent to the perimeters under development on the Ugandan side of the basin, where Total has already discovered 1.7 billion recoverable barrels.
Oil of DRCongo now knows it is not wanted in the DRC but is playing hardball to keep these blocks. In January 2020, the company stated that it had injected $167 million into the development work on Blocks 1 and 2. A ministry memo contradicts these figures and refers to a figure of less than $135 million, while an archived version of the Gertler-owned Fleurette Group's website from 2017 stated that it had spent only $100 million. Blocks 1 and 2 contain about 3 billion barrels of oil.
Olivier de Souza
S&P upgrades Zambia to CCC+ as debt talks advance and copper output rebounds. About 94% of $...
Anthropic, Rwanda’s government, and ALX launched Chidi, an AI mentor built on Claude. It wi...
Government, ESCWA, and experts meet to shape national framework Plan aims to fight corruption, c...
Vodacom Tanzania launches M-Pesa Global Payments, enabling seamless international transactions thr...
(MCB) - The Mauritius Commercial Bank Limited (“MCB”) has successfully granted a strategic financing...
Algeria and Egypt to launch direct Algiers-Alexandria maritime link to boost trade Bilateral trade surpassed $1B in 2024; target set...
AIIB approves $200M for Benin’s Greater Nokoué urban mobility project Plan includes road upgrades, public buses, smart traffic and lagoon...
Chad partners with Egypt to modernize state TV and train media staff Project aims to improve Télé Tchad’s content, skills and viewer experience ...
This week in African health news: Global measles cases have dropped nearly 80 percent since 2000, but major challenges remain across the continent....
Hidden deep within the Arabuko-Sokoke Forest on Kenya’s coast near Malindi, the ancient city of Gedi stands as one of East Africa’s most intriguing...
Orange Egypt and Qatar’s Qilaa International Group have partnered to develop WTOUR, a digital platform offering trip planning, hotel bookings, local...