Public Management

Côte d'Ivoire targets an average growth of over 7% by 2025

Friday, 24 September 2021 16:17
Côte d'Ivoire targets an average growth of over 7% by 2025

(Ecofin Agency) - The Ivorian government plans to increase the share of investment in GDP to 27.1% by 2025. Although this approach is expected to bolster solid growth for the next few years, significant social challenges remain.

Côte d'Ivoire aims for average economic growth of 7.65% over 2021-2025, up from 5.9% for 2016-2020. The figure was reported in the official statement of the Council of Ministers held on September 22.

The objective aligns with the country’s new national development plan (NDP), which “aims to remove the remaining barriers to economic and social transformation." To achieve this, authorities plan to increase the investment rate from 23.1% of GDP in 2021 to 27.1% in 2025. Overall, more than $105 billion (CFA59,000 billion) will go for investments. The private sector is expected to provide 74% of the amount ($78 billion, or CFA43,646.7 billion) while the remaining 26% ($27.4 billion, or CFA15,353.3 billion) will come from the public sector.

This optimistic outlook matches that of the IMF, which forecasts growth of 6.5% between 2021 and 2025 for the country. Rating agency Standard & Poor's also sees the same outlook but for the period 2022-2024. Despite the global economic context marked by the covid-19 pandemic, Côte d'Ivoire is one of the few countries that maintained a positive growth last year (2.3% according to the IMF). The country was even rated "double B" by the three largest international rating agencies. Moody's granted Ba3, while S&P and Fitch granted a BB- rating with a stable outlook. Also, the recent successful Eurobond issues between late 2020 and early 2021 reflect the country's ability to attract investors.

The challenge for the Ivorian authorities is to ensure that the wealth created is reflected in improved living conditions for the population. The World Bank estimated that poverty has declined in the country from 46.3% in 2015 to 39.4% in 2020 but the number of poor people has increased in rural areas by 2.4% over the same period. The fragile economic environment was worsened by the health crisis with higher social hardship. Inflation more than doubled between 2019 and 2020, from 0.8% to 2.4%, according to the IMF, and is expected to reach 2.5% this year.

Moutiou Adjibi Nourou                       

Additional Info

  • communiques: Non
  • couleur: N/A
 
Finance


 
Telecom


Ecofin Agency covers the news from 9 business sectors in Africa: Public management, Finance, ICT, Agribusiness, Electricity, Mining, Oil and Gas, Comms and Laws. Ecofin Agency is also creating and management specialized medias, in paper and on the web/social networks, for institutions or African publishers.

AGENCE ECOFIN

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Genève
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11

REDACTION
redaction@agenceecofin.com

Public management
Aaron AKINOCHO
Borgia KOBRI
Moutiou ADJIBI

Finance
Idriss LINGE
Walid KEFI
Chamberline MOKO

Agribusiness
Espoir OLODO

Electricity
Gwladys JOHNSON

Oil and Gas
Olivier DE SOUZA

Mining
Louis-Nino KANSOUN

ITC 
Muriel EDJO

Comms
Servan AHOUGNON

Cameroon
Brice R. MBODIAM
Sylvain ANDZONGO
Monique MAY
Julienne Rose SENDE

Togo
Fiacre E. KAKPO
Waliyullah TAJUDEEN
Séna AKODA

Niger
Sandrine GAINGNE

Gabon
Stephane BILLE
Pierre-Celestin ATANGANA

Desk
Stéphane ALIDJINOU
Souha TOURE
Vahid CODJIA
Diane ZODEHOUGAN
Hikmatu BILALI

Translation
Schadrac AKINOCHO
Mouka MEZONLIN
Firmine AÏZAN



Digital
Omar SOKHNA
Mamadou DIOP
Bacary MANE
Abdel Razak MOULIOM

Digital Marketing
Jérémie FLAUX
Geraud ACHI
Jean Christian BERNARD
Franck FOUTE

Web publishing
Bakoly RAHARISOA
Rina RAMANANDRAISOA
Hasina RAJEMISON

Development
Dominique FLAUX

 


 
REGIE COMMERCIALE
AGENCE ECOFIN
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Genève
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11
Fax: +41 22 301 96 10

Benjamin FLAUX
bf@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72

Voir page 
Nos services
 

 










 



Ecofin Agency is a news agency for economic and sectorial information. It was created in 2010 and it website was launched in June 2011.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.