The Democratic Republic of Congo could benefit from a series of disbursements form the World Bank. This was revealed by Jean-Christophe Carret (pictured), World Bank Country Manager, during a recent interview with Bloomberg.
According to him, the institution is ready to grant DR Congo up to $3 billion to handle the repercussions of Covid-19 on its economy. The country suffered a decline to 0.8% in economic growth last year; more than 31,000 people have been infected by the pandemic and at least 780 have died.
However, Jean-Christophe Carret says, the World Bank conditions its grant on the settlement of a number of conflict situations in the country. These include the political tensions between the supporters of President Félix Tshisekedi and his predecessor Joseph Kabila for control of power. Tensions hamper the implementation of many reforms in the management of public finances, governance, and public enterprises. Jean-Christophe Carret indicated that the complicated political history of this country has not yet created space to implement reforms.
The World Bank representative also recalled that the ongoing investigation on the misuse of funds intended for the education sector is an obstacle to the disbursement of a new financing in the sector. Moreover, the World Bank also required that talks between the IMF and DRC on a loan program be concluded successfully before allocating $200 million in support to Central Africa’s largest country. The availability of these funds would finally allow the DRC to revive an economy that has been suffocated by years of mismanagement. With a rather tense political situation and the slowdown of the economy in 2020, the country is going through a socio-economic crisis, with more than 73% of the population living below the poverty line, according to a 2018 World Bank estimate. This situation has been exacerbated by covid-19 and the restriction measures.
World Bank plans to invest $250 million to accelerate the vaccination campaign in DR Congo. Last May 12, the institution signed with the country’s finance ministry a $500 million deal to upgrade infrastructures in the energy and urbanism sector, mainly targeting Kinshasa.
Carine Sossoukpè (intern)
ECOWAS central bank governors reaffirm a 2027 target for launching the Eco. Nigeria signals...
South Africa led with 35% of total deal value, ahead of Kenya and Egypt Inbound deal value ro...
Investigation targets alleged breaches of Nigeria’s 2023 data protection law Platform processes p...
Nigeria opened a formal investigation into Temu over alleged violations of its 2023 data protectio...
The main point of contention between Niamey and France’s Orano concerns the uranium stock extracted ...
UNESCO allocates $50 million to Côte d'Ivoire NDP Funding supports education, culture, science, communication sectors NDP 2026-2030 targets 7.2%...
Senegal trade rose 19.4% to 13,214 billion CFA Exports jumped 51.8%, driven by gold and oil Economy grew 7.9% in 2025, IMF says Senegal's...
Nigeria misses 2025 targets under Presidential CNG Initiative About 300 centers, 40 stations built since 2023 Government aimed for 500 centers, 150...
Puleng Pitso, Investment Officer at Ninety One | Emerging Africa and Asia Infrastructure Fund (EAAIF), explains how the fund acts as the architect of...
Located about 500 kilometers southwest of Cairo, between the oases of Bahariya and Farafra, the White Desert stands out as one of Egypt’s most distinctive...
The University of Lomé on Wednesday opened a fossil and rock exhibition hall showcasing specimens from the country’s coastal sedimentary basin. Led by the...