Last week, the South African communication minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams (pictured) condemned the destruction of telecom towers operated by MTN and Vodacom in the province of KwaZulu-Natal. The infrastructures were burnt by anti-5G activists.
According to the official, the incident occurred after the spread of alleged conspiracies linking Covid-19 and 5G technology. As at January 7, 2021, South Africa had recorded 20,999 new Covid-19 cases according to official stats, against 16,000 two days earlier. A fact that looks dubious for anti-5G activists as the two telecom companies launched 5G in December and plan to accelerate deployment once the new telecom licenses are acquired.
In a statement, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams said the destruction of the telecom towers undermines the multi-pronged efforts and initiatives engaged to control the spread of the virus. Calling the telecom towers a critical network infrastructure, the minister stressed that the country needs them to provide resilient, high-speed connectivity to every citizen to enable them to participate meaningfully in the digital economy.
Sources at MTN and Vodacom said the towers burnt in the province of KwaZulu-Natal were not 5G towers.
S&P upgrades Zambia to CCC+ as debt talks advance and copper output rebounds. About 94% of $...
Anthropic, Rwanda’s government, and ALX launched Chidi, an AI mentor built on Claude. It wi...
Government, ESCWA, and experts meet to shape national framework Plan aims to fight corruption, c...
Vodacom Tanzania launches M-Pesa Global Payments, enabling seamless international transactions thr...
(MCB) - The Mauritius Commercial Bank Limited (“MCB”) has successfully granted a strategic financing...
The government launched FUGAS, a new digital administrative and payroll system, as a strategic reform tool. The initiative forms part of a broader...
Yttrium oxide prices jumped from $6/kg to $220–320/kg after China restricted exports. South Africa prepares to enter medium-term yttrium...
Maersk will resume transit through the Suez Canal from December 2025 after a two-year diversion. The Suez Canal Authority has cut transit fees by 15%...
AGL Cameroon invested CFA1 billion ($1.8 million) in new port equipment. The company has already spent more than CFA8 billion on equipment in...
Hidden deep within the Arabuko-Sokoke Forest on Kenya’s coast near Malindi, the ancient city of Gedi stands as one of East Africa’s most intriguing...
Orange Egypt and Qatar’s Qilaa International Group have partnered to develop WTOUR, a digital platform offering trip planning, hotel bookings, local...