News Industry

Glencore Chases Bigger Copper Output in Congo — but Sells Down Assets

Glencore Chases Bigger Copper Output in Congo — but Sells Down Assets
Wednesday, 18 February 2026 19:17
  • Agreement with Gécamines could extend KCC mine life into the 2040s
  • Copper output target raised toward about 300,000 tons a year
  • Move comes as Glencore negotiates sale of 40% stakes in its DRC mines

Glencore has secured access to additional land around its KCC copper-cobalt mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo, positioning the operation to run into the 2040s even as the Swiss mining giant explores bringing in a new investor.

The agreement, announced Wednesday, February 18, was signed with state-owned Gécamines and gives KCC room to expand its tailings storage and waste rock facilities — a technical step that could unlock more reserves and extend the mine’s productive life. Glencore owns 70% of KCC, one of the country’s flagship copper assets.

The company renewed KCC’s mining permits in 2024 for 15 years, through 2039. With the additional land access, its Congolese subsidiary says it will be able to maximize the exploitation of reserves and potentially operate beyond the current permit horizon.

KCC produced 188,700 tons of copper in 2025. Glencore now says it is targeting longer-term output of around 300,000 tons a year.

“This agreement will allow us to unlock the full potential of KCC by increasing efficiencies at the mine, facilities and other key infrastructure requirements. It will also help us to achieve our c.300,000 ton p.a. copper production long-term target and extend KCC's life of mine into the mid-2040s,” said Mark Davis, Glencore’s chief operating officer for Copper Africa.

Ownership in Flux

The timing of the agreement is striking. Earlier this month, Glencore signed a memorandum of understanding with U.S.-based Orion Critical Minerals to sell 40% stakes in its two Congolese mines.

At Mutanda, where Glencore controls 95%, a final agreement with Orion would still leave the Swiss group in a dominant position. At KCC, however, a 40% sale would reduce Glencore’s holding to 30%, putting it on equal footing with Gécamines, the current minority shareholder. Orion would also gain rights to a share of production proportional to its stake, lowering the portion attributable to Glencore.

Those talks have fueled speculation that Glencore may be reconsidering the scale of its exposure to the world’s leading cobalt producer and Africa’s top copper producer. The new agreement suggests a more nuanced strategy: reshaping ownership while reinforcing the asset’s long-term economics. By boosting output and extending the mine’s life, Glencore could mitigate the financial impact of any reduction in its stake.

The deal still requires the registration of leases and titles with the mining cadastre, a process expected in the coming months. Gécamines will retain rights over ore reserves extracted within the leased perimeter.

A Complex Operating Environment

Glencore’s long presence in the DRC has been marked by both opportunity and friction. In recent years, the company has faced recurring disputes with Congolese tax authorities over royalties and levies, as well as a decline in copper and cobalt production between 2022 and 2024.

In 2025, the government imposed an export embargo on cobalt for most of the year, later replacing it with a quota system. Glencore’s authorized export volume for the current year, 22,800 tons, is below its total 2025 cobalt production of 33,600 tons.

Against that backdrop, the company has increasingly emphasized copper over cobalt in its Congolese portfolio. Its ability to navigate regulatory constraints, manage production volatility and sustain investment will determine whether the bet on KCC’s extended life translates into durable returns.

Emiliano Tossou

On the same topic
Production could rise to 25–30 million tons this year, from about 10 million in 2025 Growth driven by ArcelorMittal’s $1.8bn expansion and new...
Agreement with Gécamines could extend KCC mine life into the 2040s Copper output target raised toward about 300,000 tons a year Move comes as Glencore...
Five local banks to mobilize CFA41.2bn ($74.4m) for Grand-Zambi mine Funding to be refinanced through BEAC’s “Window B” for productive...
21 MW solar plant to supply about 30% of Motheo mine’s power needs Seven-year lease-to-own model avoids upfront capital spending Project reflects...
Most Read
01

Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...

Absa Kenya Imports a Telecom Playbook in Bid to Reinvent Retail Banking
02

Ziidi Trader enables NSE share trading via M-Pesa M-Pesa revenue rose 15.2% to 161.1 billio...

Safaricom launches M-Pesa platform for stock trading in Kenya
03

MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...

DRC Accuses MTN of Illegal Operations, Spotlighting Border Frequency Issues
04

Ghana has 50,000 tonnes unsold cocoa at ports Cocoa prices fell from $13,000 to around ...

After Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana Faces Cocoa Stock Build-Up as Prices Collapse
05

This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...

Weekly Health Update | Africa CDC Advances Health Sovereignty Efforts
Enter your email to receive our newsletter

Ecofin Agency provides daily coverage of nine key African economic sectors: public management, finance, telecoms, agribusiness, mining, energy, transport, communication, and education.
It also designs and manages specialized media, both online and print, for African institutions and publishers.

SALES & ADVERTISING

regie@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72


EDITORIAL
redaction@agenceecofin.com

More information
Team
Publisher

ECOFIN AGENCY

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Geneva
Switzerland

 

Ecofin Agency is a sector-focused economic news agency, founded in December 2010. Its web platform was launched in June 2011. ©Mediamania.

 
 

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.