News

Niger Sets Uranium Share Terms in Dispute with France’s Orano

Niger Sets Uranium Share Terms in Dispute with France’s Orano
Tuesday, 17 February 2026 04:06

A dispute over the uranium stockpile claimed by France’s Orano has intensified tensions between Niamey and its former long-time partner following the nationalization of Somaïr. As global interest in nuclear energy picks up again, Niger’s authorities are setting out how they intend to divide output produced before and after taking control of the Arlit site.

In a televised address aired late last week, Niger’s President Abdourahamane Tiani reaffirmed the government’s position on the uranium stockpile at Somaïr. He said the portion linked to French company Orano’s former stake in the now-nationalized venture can only be calculated on the basis of roughly 156 tons extracted before Nigerien authorities assumed control of the site.

France is entitled to 63.4% of the 156.231 tons. If they want it shipped tomorrow, we will cover the transport costs ourselves, because they were present when it was produced. But everything produced since then belongs to Niger. And it will remain Nigerien, Inshallah,” he said.

Niamey Reaffirms Its Position

The remarks are consistent with statements made by Nigerien authorities in late 2025. At a joint press conference, the ministers of Mines and Justice set out legal and economic arguments to justify the nationalization of Somaïr and reject expropriation claims raised by Orano.

They argued that the Arlit concession, granted in 1968 for 75 years and covering about 360 square kilometers, represents a conditional operating licence rather than a transfer of subsoil ownership, which they say remains a sovereign prerogative of the state. They also pointed to the strict enforcement of mining regulations, citing a formal notice issued to Orano Mining in September 2025 over unpaid concession royalties.

On the economic side, the ministers described what they called a longstanding imbalance in the sale of Nigerien uranium. According to figures presented at the press conference, the volume sold by the French operator over more than five decades exceeded its equity stake. Niamey reports total production of more than 80,000 tons between 1971 and 2024 and argues that the state’s effective share did not match its shareholding.

Authorities also said they committed public funds to keep operations running after July 2023, referring to investments amounting to several tens of billions of CFA francs. They estimate that about 2,000 tons have been extracted since then under Nigerien control. According to the authorities, those volumes do not belong to Orano. The French group contests this position and has filed proceedings before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).

Pending resolution of the dispute, the spot price of uranium rose from below $66,000 per ton in January 2021 to more than $180,000 per ton in late 2025. For Niger, the more favourable price environment, driven by renewed interest in nuclear energy, offers an opportunity to increase sector revenues, provided output can return to levels seen in the mid-2010s.

Louis-Nino Kansoun

On the same topic
A dispute over the uranium stockpile claimed by France’s Orano has intensified tensions between Niamey and its former long-time partner following the...
In 2015, all 54 African countries committed to raising education spending to at least 4 to 6 percent of GDP and/or 15 to 20 percent of total public...
China’s initiative aims to address the imbalances that have long characterised bilateral trade relations. Its impact, however, may be limited given the...
Green hydrogen projects are multiplying across Africa, promoted as a driver of the continent’s low-carbon transition. Whether they can generate...
Most Read
01

Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...

Absa Kenya Imports a Telecom Playbook in Bid to Reinvent Retail Banking
02

Ziidi Trader enables NSE share trading via M-Pesa M-Pesa revenue rose 15.2% to 161.1 billio...

Safaricom launches M-Pesa platform for stock trading in Kenya
03

MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...

DRC Accuses MTN of Illegal Operations, Spotlighting Border Frequency Issues
04

This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...

Weekly Health Update | Africa CDC Advances Health Sovereignty Efforts
05

Ghana has 50,000 tonnes unsold cocoa at ports Cocoa prices fell from $13,000 to around ...

After Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana Faces Cocoa Stock Build-Up as Prices Collapse
Enter your email to receive our newsletter

Ecofin Agency provides daily coverage of nine key African economic sectors: public management, finance, telecoms, agribusiness, mining, energy, transport, communication, and education.
It also designs and manages specialized media, both online and print, for African institutions and publishers.

SALES & ADVERTISING

regie@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72


EDITORIAL
redaction@agenceecofin.com

More information
Team
Publisher

ECOFIN AGENCY

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Geneva
Switzerland

 

Ecofin Agency is a sector-focused economic news agency, founded in December 2010. Its web platform was launched in June 2011. ©Mediamania.

 
 

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.