Finance

Standard Bank, BII commit senior loans for “Africa’s largest baseload renewable energy project”

Friday, 22 July 2022 15:57
Standard Bank, BII commit senior loans for  “Africa’s largest baseload renewable energy project”

(Ecofin Agency) - Standard Bank and British International Investment will provide debt investment but, Scatec will also make an equity contribution to the project, which is expected to meet the energy demand in South Africa.  

South Africa's Standard Bank Group and British International Investment (BII) have committed to providing ZAR12.4 billion (US$720 million) senior loans for a major battery energy storage and photovoltaic (PV) solar project in South Africa.

The said project, estimated to cost about US$1 billion, will be “Africa’s largest and South Africa’s first baseload renewable energy project,” the BII stressed in a release issued yesterday (July 21).  It will be developed by renewable energy solutions provider Scatec ASA, which will provide the largest equity investment in the project, about ZAR16.4 billion (US$962 million).

“This project is a first of its kind and will be one of the world’s largest solar and battery facilities. We are now looking forward to starting construction of this unique and exciting project, which will be a major contribution to South Africa’s economy and green energy sector,” commented Scatec CEO Terje Pilskog (photo).

The project will start in the Northern Cape Province after the financial close in the next few weeks. Once operational, it will provide 540 MW of solar power capacity and 1.1 GWh of battery energy storage capacity. It will help meet South Africa's energy demand by adding clean energy to the country's energy mix.

Scatec will own 51% of the project while the BII will hold the remaining 49%,  through its South African partner H1 Holdings. 

Let’s note that this is not the first time BII and Scatec are jointly developing renewable energy projects in Africa. They have developed many others in the past.

Chamberline MOKO



 
Telecom


 
Public Management


Ecofin Agency covers the news from 9 business sectors in Africa: Public management, Finance, ICT, Agribusiness, Electricity, Mining, Oil and Gas, Comms and Laws. Ecofin Agency is also creating and management specialized medias, in paper and on the web/social networks, for institutions or African publishers.

AGENCE ECOFIN

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Genève
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11

REDACTION
redaction@agenceecofin.com

Public management
Aaron AKINOCHO
Borgia KOBRI
Moutiou ADJIBI

Finance
Idriss LINGE
Walid KEFI
Chamberline MOKO

Agribusiness
Espoir OLODO

Electricity
Gwladys JOHNSON

Oil and Gas
Olivier DE SOUZA

Mining
Louis-Nino KANSOUN

ITC 
Muriel EDJO

Comms
Servan AHOUGNON

Cameroon
Brice R. MBODIAM
Sylvain ANDZONGO
Monique MAY
Julienne Rose SENDE

Togo
Fiacre E. KAKPO
Waliyullah TAJUDEEN
Séna AKODA

Niger
Sandrine GAINGNE

Gabon
Stephane BILLE
Pierre-Celestin ATANGANA

Desk
Stéphane ALIDJINOU
Souha TOURE
Vahid CODJIA
Diane ZODEHOUGAN
Hikmatu BILALI

Translation
Schadrac AKINOCHO
Mouka MEZONLIN
Firmine AÏZAN



Digital
Omar SOKHNA
Mamadou DIOP
Bacary MANE
Abdel Razak MOULIOM

Digital Marketing
Jérémie FLAUX
Geraud ACHI
Jean Christian BERNARD
Franck FOUTE

Web publishing
Bakoly RAHARISOA
Rina RAMANANDRAISOA
Hasina RAJEMISON

Development
Dominique FLAUX

 


 
REGIE COMMERCIALE
AGENCE ECOFIN
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Genève
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11
Fax: +41 22 301 96 10

Benjamin FLAUX
bf@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72

Voir page 
Nos services
 

 










 



Ecofin Agency is a news agency for economic and sectorial information. It was created in 2010 and it website was launched in June 2011.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.