Senegalese opposition figure Ousmane Sonko was sentenced to two years in prison for "corruption of youth” in July this year. He has since been trying to get the sentence lifted. He believes the sentence is a political maneuver to sideline him from the 2024 presidential race.
Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko (pictured) has just won an important round in his legal battle with the judiciary. On Thursday, October 12, a judge at the administrative court in Ziguinchor, Sonko's political stronghold, canceled his removal from the electoral lists and ordered his reinstatement.
This announcement places the leader of the Pastef party back into the presidential race, seen by many observers as more open since President Macky Sall publicly stated that he would not seek re-election again. Judge Sabassy Faye's decision should enable Ousmane Sonko to initiate the necessary procedures to secure the endorsements required for his presidential candidacy.
However, this decision offers only temporary relief to Ousmane Sonko, who has been engaged in an open political feud with President Macky Sall for several years. First, the annulment of Sonko’s removal is based on the argument that another trial must take place since he was tried in absentia before being arrested. Secondly, the Senegalese state has ten days to appeal to the Supreme Court, which will make the final decision. And let’s not forget that the Supreme Court had previously rejected appeals from Ousmane Sonko's lawyers regarding his removal.
On social media, Ousmane Sonko's supporters are already celebrating his reinstatement. "With five months to go before the elections, it's time to save what's left of the rule of law in this country. May this decision serve as an example to all, and may the courage of the magistrate and my colleagues, who have been impeded and intimidated, inspire those who are tempted to step aside", said his lawyer Juan Branco on X. He added: "I call on the people of Ziguinchor to protect all those who have committed themselves this day. Nothing is decided yet.”
South Africa led with 35% of total deal value, ahead of Kenya and Egypt Inbound deal value ro...
Safran invests €280m to build one of the world's largest landing gear plants in Morocco, crea...
Industrial, jewelry and silverware demand expected to decline in 2026. Physical investment ...
This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...
Global South Utilities (GSU) has begun building a 5 MWp hybrid solar plant with 5 MWh battery st...
MTC Namibia and Botswana Fibre Networks (BoFiNet) signed a memorandum of understanding to expand cross-border fibre connectivity. The partnership...
Egypt reached 9.1 GW of installed renewable capacity in fiscal Q2 2025/2026, up from 8.6 GW a year earlier. Solar and wind accounted for more than...
Supreme Court rules 6–3: IEEPA does not authorise the President to impose tariffs. Constitutional principle upheld: taxing power belongs exclusively to...
EACOP costs rise to $5.6 billion, 55% above estimates Uganda oil revenues could fall up to 53%, IEEFA says Tanzania, Uganda target first crude...
The University of Lomé on Wednesday opened a fossil and rock exhibition hall showcasing specimens from the country’s coastal sedimentary basin. Led by the...
Senegal, Morocco resume talks on film co-production pact Countries seek revised agreement on training, distribution Partnership produced two...