The International Monetary Fund (IMF) announced in a Jan 25 statement it will support Guinea-Bissau’s response against the Covid-19 pandemic with $20.4 million. The financing is approved under the Rapid Credit Facility (RCF) put in place to assist countries during the health crisis.
The money will help the government meet its urgent balance of payments and fiscal needs; support the growing health spending, social protection and investment needed to revive the country’s economy.
With more than 2,532 cases of Covid-19 reported so far (45 deaths and 2,421 recoveries), Guinea-Bissau fears a second wave of infections. Last year, growth shrunk in the country to about -2.9%, the IMF said.
Moreover, lower external demand for cashew, one of Guinea-Bissau’s flagship exports, added to the restriction measures initiated to control the spread of the pandemic, led to a deterioration of the country’s external position and its fiscal status.
Another blow to the economy is the public debt, which makes it difficult for the country to diversify its financing sources. “Given Guinea-Bissau’s limited fiscal space and debt vulnerabilities, emergency assistance should be mostly in the form of grants and highly concessional loans. As the pandemic eases, the authorities are committed to putting in place a fiscal consolidation program to ensure debt sustainability while addressing the country’s vast developmental needs,” the IMF said.
To get out of that crisis and improve economic resilience to future external shocks, IMF encourages authorities to strengthen health investment. “The effects of these shocks are expected to persist in 2021, reflecting the need to sustain imports for essential consumption and investment to strengthen health sector capacities and infrastructure, which was further weakened by severe floods in September,” the Fund explained.
Let’s note that the authorities are committed to “pursuing their reform agenda and their engagement with the IMF through a staff-monitored program to build a sound track record toward a possible Extended Credit Facility arrangement.”
Moutiou Adjibi Nourou
Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...
Ziidi Trader enables NSE share trading via M-Pesa M-Pesa revenue rose 15.2% to 161.1 billio...
MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...
This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...
Ghana has 50,000 tonnes unsold cocoa at ports Cocoa prices fell from $13,000 to around ...
Togo’s GDP per capita surpasses $1,300 in 2025, supported by economic growth above 6%. The United Nations revises population data downward...
The Tree Crops Development Authority targets $600 million in investment commitments, or $100 million for each of six strategic tree crop...
Egypt launched trial operations at Damietta Port’s second container terminal with the arrival of Hapag-Lloyd’s “ESSEN EXPRESS.” The terminal...
West Wits Mining launched a scoping study to lift WBP output to 200,000 ounces per year after starting initial production. South Africa’s gold...
“Dao” ranks among the three films in official competition at the 76th Berlinale and marks Alain Gomis’ second bid for the Golden Bear. The film...
Fort Jesus is a fortress located in Mombasa, on Kenya’s coastline, at the entrance to the natural harbor that long made the city a hub of trade in the...