Turkey says it is getting ready to send military troops to Libya to assist the Government of National Accord (GNA) in its fight against attacks by Marshal Khalifa Haftar's forces. The announcement was made on Thursday by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (pictured).
President Erdogan indicates that by next month, a new law is expected to be passed by the parliament to authorize the operation. “Since there is an invitation [from Libya] right now, we will accept it. We will present the motion to send troops [to Libya] as soon as Parliament resumes,” he said. Parliament is expected to consider the bill on 7 January 2020.
As a reminder, last month, a military and security cooperation deal was inked between the GNA and Turkey. On December 10, Ankara already announced that it was ready to send soldiers to Libya to support the Tripoli government if the GNA so requested.
Since former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed in 2011, Libya has been plagued by all sorts of conflicts and has become a threat not only to the countries of the region but also to several Western countries. In addition to the armed and terrorist groups fighting each other, control of the country has been the subject of a conflict for some years now between the GNA supported by Turkey and Qatar, and Marshal Haftar supported by Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.
Moutiou Adjibi Nourou
Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...
Ziidi Trader enables NSE share trading via M-Pesa M-Pesa revenue rose 15.2% to 161.1 billio...
MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...
Ghana has 50,000 tonnes unsold cocoa at ports Cocoa prices fell from $13,000 to around ...
This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...
Feasibility study identifies 8.3 MW technical potential at Ngqura Project still pending regulatory approvals and investment decision Could become...
Democratic Republic of the Congo selected a public-private partnership to pave 258 km of National Road No. 27 in Ituri province. The project carries an...
Four East African countries signed an agreement creating the DESSU Corridor Authority on February 15 in Djibouti. The multimodal corridor will link the...
As digital payments continue to expand across Francophone Africa, the ecosystem is moving into a more mature phase where the core challenge is no longer...
“Dao” ranks among the three films in official competition at the 76th Berlinale and marks Alain Gomis’ second bid for the Golden Bear. The film...
Fort Jesus is a fortress located in Mombasa, on Kenya’s coastline, at the entrance to the natural harbor that long made the city a hub of trade in the...