Telecom

Vodafone to sell Ghanaian subsidiary to Telecel Group

Tuesday, 02 August 2022 18:05
Vodafone to sell Ghanaian subsidiary to Telecel Group

(Ecofin Agency) - In 2021, Vodafone announced its plan to sell its stake in its ailing Ghanaian subsidiary to Vodacom. The deal did not come to fruition.  

British telecom group Vodafone announces plan to sell its 70% stake in Vodafone Ghana to Telecel Group. 

The transaction, which is still subject to “certain conditions”, will allow the British giant to refocus on its key markets. According to Bloomberg, citing people familiar with the matter, “ Telecel plans to help fund the acquisition by later offloading the Ghana business’s mobile towers.” 

Vodafone entered the Ghanaian telecom market in 2008 by acquiring 70% stake in the incumbent operator Ghana Telecommunications Co for US$900 million. The government holds the remaining 30%.

In 2021, Vodafone announced that it was considering selling its stake in the Ghanaian business to its African subsidiary Vodacom, as part of a reorganization process. In recent years, the Ghanaian subsidiary’s subscriber base has shrunk, going from 9,407,144 at the end of September 2019 to 7,882,497 at the end of February 2022, according to the local regulator. 

The deal is announced four months after Telecel bought Mauritanian-Tunisian Telecommunications Company (Mattel) for an undisclosed amount. If the new deal goes through, it will help strengthen its African footprint. 

Isaac K. Kassouwi





 
Finance


 
Public Management


Ecofin Agency covers the news from 9 business sectors in Africa: Public management, Finance, ICT, Agribusiness, Electricity, Mining, Oil and Gas, Comms and Laws. Ecofin Agency is also creating and management specialized medias, in paper and on the web/social networks, for institutions or African publishers.

AGENCE ECOFIN

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Genève
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11

REDACTION
redaction@agenceecofin.com

Public management
Aaron AKINOCHO
Borgia KOBRI
Moutiou ADJIBI

Finance
Idriss LINGE
Walid KEFI
Chamberline MOKO

Agribusiness
Espoir OLODO

Electricity
Gwladys JOHNSON

Oil and Gas
Olivier DE SOUZA

Mining
Louis-Nino KANSOUN

ITC 
Muriel EDJO

Comms
Servan AHOUGNON

Cameroon
Brice R. MBODIAM
Sylvain ANDZONGO
Monique MAY
Julienne Rose SENDE

Togo
Fiacre E. KAKPO
Waliyullah TAJUDEEN
Séna AKODA

Niger
Sandrine GAINGNE

Gabon
Stephane BILLE
Pierre-Celestin ATANGANA

Desk
Stéphane ALIDJINOU
Souha TOURE
Vahid CODJIA
Diane ZODEHOUGAN
Hikmatu BILALI

Translation
Schadrac AKINOCHO
Mouka MEZONLIN
Firmine AÏZAN



Digital
Omar SOKHNA
Mamadou DIOP
Bacary MANE
Abdel Razak MOULIOM

Digital Marketing
Jérémie FLAUX
Geraud ACHI
Jean Christian BERNARD
Franck FOUTE

Web publishing
Bakoly RAHARISOA
Rina RAMANANDRAISOA
Hasina RAJEMISON

Development
Dominique FLAUX

 


 
REGIE COMMERCIALE
AGENCE ECOFIN
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Genève
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11
Fax: +41 22 301 96 10

Benjamin FLAUX
bf@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72

Voir page 
Nos services
 

 










 



Ecofin Agency is a news agency for economic and sectorial information. It was created in 2010 and it website was launched in June 2011.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.