On August 14, the Algerian government announced the unilateral severance of its diplomatic relations with Morocco, citing incessant hostile acts by its neighbor. Tensions between the two countries has so far escalated.
Moroccan civilian and military aircraft, as well as aircraft registered in the country are now banned from entering the Algerian airspace. The decision was announced yesterday by Algeria’s High Security Council, "due to continued Moroccan provocations and hostile practices.” The council is headed by the Algerian President, Abdelmadjid Tebboune, alongside the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces and the Minister of National Defense.
For now, Morocco has not officially reacted. A source at Royal Air Maroc (RAM) told Reuters the decision would only affect 15 weekly flights linking Morocco with Tunisia, Turkey, and Egypt. The source says the affected flights could however be rerouted over the Mediterranean. But RAM did not comment on a possible modification of its flight plans.
Commercial travel has been suspended between Morocco and Algeria since March 2020, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The partial opening of Moroccan airspace on June 15, 2021 did not include Algeria and subsequently any flight between the two countries was subject to an exceptional authorization.
As a reminder, the two North African countries have been opposed on several issues for years. The hot issues include the independence of Western Sahara (where Algiers has always shown its support for the Polisario Front) and the self-determination of Kabylia, where Rabat in turn supports the Kabyle cause. Algeria accuses Morocco of supporting the MAK, a Kabyle separatist group that the government describes as a terrorist organization and which is allegedly involved in the recent devastating wildfires, which killed at least 90 people. The MAK, however, denies the allegations.
Romuald Ngueyap
Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...
Ziidi Trader enables NSE share trading via M-Pesa M-Pesa revenue rose 15.2% to 161.1 billio...
MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...
Deposits grow 2.7%, supporting lending recovery Average loan sizes small, credit risk persists ...
Global South Utilities (GSU) has begun building a 5 MWp hybrid solar plant with 5 MWh battery st...
Galiano Gold plans to produce 140,000–160,000 ounces at Asanko in 2026, up about 25% from 2025. The company expects 80,000–90,000 ounces in the...
Africa attracted only 10% of global mining exploration spending in 2024 despite representing 22% of the world’s landmass. Botswana explored only...
Angola created more than 1.1 million formal jobs between 2018 and 2025, according to official data. The unemployment rate stood at 28.8% in the...
MTN Congo activated the 2Africa submarine cable, adding a second international route after weeks of WACS disruptions. 2Africa provides 180...
While Afrobeat has evolved into what is now known as Afrobeats, there is little dispute that the movement was pioneered by Fela Kuti. A musical genius and...
Benin is guest of honor at the 2026 African Book Fair in Paris. More than 400 authors and 150 publishers from 20 countries are expected. The spotlight...