Telecom

Zimbabwe plans to open TelOne and NetOne to private investors

Zimbabwe plans to open TelOne and NetOne to private investors
Tuesday, 16 July 2019 13:31

The government of Zimbabwe says, as part of its ambition to boost the telecoms sector, it is planning to sell the majority stake it holds in TelOne and NetOne. This was reported last week by the finance minister, Mthuli Ncube (photo), during a press conference.

According to him, the two still State-owned companies will be privatized through a single offer; that way, transactions will be eased and time shortened. The government is currently working on this strategy with its financial advisor, who will receive all bids.

Mthuli Ncube said he cannot yet provide all details but when the time comes, the government will make sure to provide them all. When the operation is completed, the State will retain only 26% of shares. “There is a reason we are choosing to remain with 26% because this is what we call effective minority shareholding which we can use to block certain decisions. If it is below that, we are not effective,” explained Mthuli Ncube.

In addition to TelOne and NetOne, the government also plans to privatize Telecel, in which it has a 40% stake. But first, it will invest $20 million to acquire full ownership before divesting 74% of the capital and retaining 26%.

On the same topic
MTC Namibia and Botswana Fibre Networks (BoFiNet) signed a memorandum of understanding to expand cross-border fibre connectivity. The partnership...
Como em muitos países africanos, as autoridades da RDC apostam na transformação digital para apoiar o desenvolvimento socioeconômico. Elas contam, em...
Initiative targets 100 African AI deployments by 2030 Focus on multilingual, low-bandwidth AI for key sectors Kenya, India and Italy on Thursday...
Togo creates National Geographic Institute by ministerial decree Reform grants legal, financial autonomy to new body Institute to modernize...
Most Read
01

ECOWAS central bank governors reaffirm a 2027 target for launching the Eco. Nigeria signals...

ECOWAS Eco Currency May Launch Without WAEMU in 2027 Push
02

South Africa led with 35% of total deal value, ahead of Kenya and Egypt Inbound deal value ro...

Three Countries Drove 70% of Africa’s M&A Deal Value in 2025
03

Investigation targets alleged breaches of Nigeria’s 2023 data protection law Platform processes p...

Nigeria: Investigation on Chinese Owned Temu Regarding Privacy Breach Concerns for Local Users
04

Nigeria opened a formal investigation into Temu over alleged violations of its 2023 data protectio...

Nigeria Opens Data Privacy Probe Into Temu in Sovereignty Push
05

The main point of contention between Niamey and France’s Orano concerns the uranium stock extracted ...

Niger-France uranium dispute: How 156 tonnes became 156,000 in global reporting
Enter your email to receive our newsletter

Ecofin Agency provides daily coverage of nine key African economic sectors: public management, finance, telecoms, agribusiness, mining, energy, transport, communication, and education.
It also designs and manages specialized media, both online and print, for African institutions and publishers.

SALES & ADVERTISING

regie@agenceecofin.com 
Tél: +41 22 301 96 11 
Mob: +41 78 699 13 72


EDITORIAL
redaction@agenceecofin.com

More information
Team
Publisher

ECOFIN AGENCY

Mediamania Sarl
Rue du Léman, 6
1201 Geneva
Switzerland

 

Ecofin Agency is a sector-focused economic news agency, founded in December 2010. Its web platform was launched in June 2011. ©Mediamania.

 
 

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.