Malawi has long been willing to introduce a third telecommunications operator into the national market to end the Airtel-TNM duopoly. However, its multiple attempts have failed so far.
The Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (MACRA) recently announced the awarding of the country's third telecom license to Malcel Plc. The new operator plans to enter the national telecom market next year. If successful, it will compete against Airtel Malawi and Telecom Network Malawi (TNM). In addition to mobile telephony, the new company plans to provide mobile financial services, through its MCASH platform.
According to Boniface Ndawala, president and CEO of Malcel Plc, the company plans to invest US$280 million in Malawi over the next five years. "We plan to start rolling out our network in Malawi from the fourth quarter of 2022 and we will start formal operations with the first call made on our network in the fourth quarter of 2023," he said.
Malcel Plc is a partnership between two companies, we learn. Thirty percent of its stake is held by Malawian company Bedrock Holdings, established by local telecom executives. Sixty percent is held by Danish company Eferio Communications Limited while 10 percent is earmarked for other local and foreign shareholders.
In August 2020, Malawian President Lazarus Chakwera approved the awarding of a third telecom license to promote competition in the national telecom market. Past attempts to introduce a third operator failed because the various awardees (Malawi Mobile Limited, Global Advanced Integrated Networks, and Celcom) failed to meet their obligations on each occasion.
The advent of a new player could be a game changer. "We want to give Malawians a real third alternative. So, we will fight on service to subscribers. Whoever has the best services, which leads to the best customer experience, will have an edge in the fight," said Ndawala.
Isaac K. Kassouwi
Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...
Ziidi Trader enables NSE share trading via M-Pesa M-Pesa revenue rose 15.2% to 161.1 billio...
MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...
This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...
Ghana has 50,000 tonnes unsold cocoa at ports Cocoa prices fell from $13,000 to around ...
The federal government signed a memorandum on Feb. 16, 2026 to establish Medipool as a national group purchasing organization for...
Liberia expects to finalize a revised mining code within three months, according to Mines Minister Matenokay Tingban. The government plans to allow a...
NNPC signs gas cooperation MoU with China Gas, PCCS Deal covers LNG, gas-to-power, flaring commercialization Nigeria targets 12 bcf/d gas output by...
Ghana timber exports fall 20% to 217,000 cubic meters Revenues drop 21% to 98.38 million euros ECOWAS demand rebounds despite global market...
“Dao” ranks among the three films in official competition at the 76th Berlinale and marks Alain Gomis’ second bid for the Golden Bear. The film...
Fort Jesus is a fortress located in Mombasa, on Kenya’s coastline, at the entrance to the natural harbor that long made the city a hub of trade in the...